Friday, February 03, 2006

Of Historical Significance

This was something I wrote in response to an old friend's email. I thought I'd share it because it's also historical:
Right now, I can hear my daughter wake from sleep. She's singing something indiscernible in false etto. She a regular PJ Harvey. She makes me proud. She catches a ball, knows all of her colors and animals (she also knows what sounds they make). Can fit together puzzles made for three year olds, she dances better than Ellen. She's got style I can't even imagine. She eats spinach. She's strong, beautiful and I have no doubt that she'll be a famous musician or athlete. And even if she isn't, she's the most amazing girl I've ever met.

Christian is doing well. Even though his diabetes is a "bummer" as you appropriately penned it, he's still trying not to let it get him down, but he's around teenagers at school and their favorite past times are listening to their IPODS and EATING, which makes him want to eat, too. It's to fit in, more than out of hunger. After school, on his bus, all of the kids break out food and share it. He admits that he's been partaking a little too much, which explains some of his high blood sugar readings. I tell him the dangers, he nods. He's sick of hearing it already. I tell him the benefits of not eating crap: longer life with limbs not amputated, functioning kidneys and eyes he can see out of. Not enough sometimes for a kid. That's what I have to remember. Even though he acts mature about some things, he's still my little boy. I'm going to slip some sugar free Cream Savers into his backpack that he can eat, so he doesn't feel left out.
He makes a comic called Nice Ninja Guy-all stick figures, but apparently, it's the writing that keeps them coming back. He puts the comic in comics. He likes to write, but is getting a C- in his writer's workshop class. He hates structure. He writes short stories at home. He likes to write about cars. That boy and his cars.
(This is to my Richie)
My family is so beautiful. I'm the luckiest girl, ever.
I love you .

No comments: