Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Saving the Best for Last

There seems to be something deep within the gene that transcends what science has yet to explain. How can a child exemplify mannerisms of one of their parents without ever witnessing that behavior. Both Richie and I have seen Madeline sleeping the exact way Richie does. He sleeps on his stomach with one hand on his forehead as if to prop up his head. It's really cute and cuddly.

Well, this morning I was giving Maddy her snack and I had broken her blueberry waffle into small pieces and I was putting them on her tray for her to eat. When there was only one piece left, I told her, "Ok, last bite, then you get some applesauce." She attempted to say applesauce and as she held up the last bite of waffle and studied it. She then put it back down on her tray and poked it with her finger. "Aren't you going to eat that?" I asked her, but she was pointing at the bowl saying, "Ah," which means, "Put some applesauce in my bowl, mother."
I put the applesauce in her bowl and she began eating voraciously. I only put a small amount of food in her bowl, otherwise it ends up on her lap and on the floor and on the walls. Whenever she finishes what's in her bowl, she hands the spoon to me. I give her a refill of applesauce. While I'm doing this, I catch her again, studying that last bite of waffle. When she noticed there was applesauce to eat, she set down the waffle and picked up the spoon. After she had finished all of her applesauce, she picked up the piece of waffle and said, "More," and ate it. Just like her Dad, she saved the best bite for last. I was amazed at her control. It was very untoddler like.
I just had to share this with you because I love you. Now I need to go write a novel.

No comments: