Friday, March 09, 2007

The Desperately Hungry Caterpillar

The other morning I was sitting with my daughter engaged in the facade of toilet training and she asked me to read "The Very Hungry Caterpillar," a well-known, modern classic by Eric Carle. I like the format of the book and the broad strokes in the paintings that allow such a range of color in each picture. I was anxiously looking forward to the very last painting in the book, the one where the caterpillar had turned into a beautiful butterfly of a million colors.

Well, a few pages before this transformation the caterpillar eats through a green leaf to settle his stomach before chrysalising. We then turn the page to where Carle depicted a large brown cocoon. To me, it's obvious what it is. I even told my daughter what it was about a hundred times, but that morning, she asked me something that I didn't expect, "Why is the caterpillar eating that poop?" as she pointed to the image on the right side, and laughed.



I seriously could not stop laughing. I had never thought of it as a poop before and I usually think of everything as poop or some other disgusting object. I was surprised at her odd little sense of humor. I was strangely proud of her.

It will never top hearing my son telling his uncle to "change his tampon," but it definitely is in the top ten.

Love to YOU.

No comments: